Thursday, July 19, 2012

Daily Bread.

Daughters,

I realize reading the Scripture is a hard habit to get in to. My boyfriend and I have this mutual agreement that almost anything you do right takes a lot of consistency, and it isn't always the easy way. It would be easy to plop open the Bible every day to a new section every day, read something random and call it a day. It would be easy to get an app that gives you feedback on a verse without looking much into it.

These things are wrong, not at all, but not everything is beneficial for you (1 Corinthians 6:12).

The Scripture is hard to understand, let's face it. It was written in a different part of the world two centuries, and then some, ago. It's hard for us to relate simply by reading. It requires seeking out answers to questions and doing a little leg work. Most people hear that and give up, but really, it's not that hard and once you understand how to do it, you will get so much more from it.

So for those of you who just don't know where to begin, there's so much hope!

So I want to explain a few things. Firstly, there's a certain heart behind reading the word that is essential. You need to fall in love with the word.
Lastly I'll give you the layout for how to get started (this one's gonna be good!).

Fall In Love

When you love something it's all you talk about. After the feelings go away though, it's all about the choice to love. Sometimes the Scripture is really easy to read. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to want to open it up. But I don't stop loving my mother because today is hard, I try harder to love her because she's my mother. 
When the feeling fade you must find yourself in prayer. How can God deny a request to love His word, it's what He wants for you and it will be what's best for you. 

Accountability

When I started a membership at the gym, it was really hard for me to go alone. I didn't know how to work the machines well, I didn't have a routine, and I felt really alone. Eventually I stopped going. When my boyfriend and I picked it up together, he showed me how to work other machines, we built a routine and we always went together. Now I can go by myself and I enjoy it.
My point is you're not always supposed to do everything alone, at least not always at first. You won't want to all the time and some people tend to give up when no one pushes them.

A Plan

Don't set your standards too high. I've always thought the Bible is best when its not read at speed. It may take you days to read a chapter, that's okay. Sometimes it's easy to skim and miss important things that take time to mull over. Speed is not the point, it's the heart. But you want a plan, to keep you in check and so you don't read a sentence a day (out of laziness) and call it quits because there's no expectation. 
Okay, I know this blog is long, but here's the good stuff!
There are just a few steps: 
1) Know the context
 a) Who is writing it?
 b) Who's the audience?
 c) What's the subject/culture?
2) Read the text
 ... as if you've never read it before (try to do small sections at a time)
3) Ask questions!
 Everything that comes to mind! Even if you "think" you know the answers 
4) Read the sources and get the answers
 Don't go just anywhere for info. The Esv Bible website and Blue Letter Bible are great tools. These are two good and proven sources. (Remember, not everything on the internet is true!)
             SOURCES: http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.cfm
                                  http://www.esvbible.org
5) Pray, Worship, Live, and Share. 
 The purpose is to grow. You put to practice what you learn and read. It helps to journal, you can see the progress when you do. Still, it's important to pray out of the word, it helps direct this to God and show you how to grow. For instance:
In reading Galatians 5:1 (For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.)
You could pray, "Lord, please teach me to live in freedom. Bring to light ways I make myself a slave to my sin. Forgive me for not standing firm in freedom."
You can worship though reading. My pastor play worship music when he reads so that he can sing and rejoice or weep and lament with the lyrics and the words. It helps him worship. 


All of this is just an idea. The great thing about reading is there isn't really a right or wrong technique to building your habit. But most importantly, don't make excuses. This is important. 
Psalm 119:72
The law of your mouth is better to me
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

Chelsy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment