Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Freedom.

Dear Daughters,

Did you know sex within marriage comes with freedom?

Today I was discussing my relationship with God with someone, trying to be honest about how it felt at this point. Often it's easier to understand where we are with Him if we think about it like marriage. I've also seen that it's easier to compare reading the word and prayer with sex, or at least the intimate feeling that comes with it. For more on this see My Facebook Note.

So I explained my relationship with God like this:

It's like we live in the same house, we share the same bed, but we never speak. It's like we are never home at the same time. A empty house that is full of quiet. It's as if people come over for dinner and I tell them how great our relationship is, but I feel lonely, like I haven't seen Him in weeks.

Don't take this as me saying it's His fault, but that I've kept Him far off because I'm afraid of what He might say. The problem is, I'm denying Him intimacy with me. It's the same in marriage - the more distant you are the worse your sex life is. You can't have intimacy with someone you aren't in communion with.

So for those of us who feel abandoned, how do we come back to intimacy with the One we love?

The same as in marriage, it starts with talking, with being honest. Honesty leads to trust, and trust leads to unity. Once we are one we begin to enjoy the fullness of unity, intimacy, and joy.

In marriage, there is freedom in sex. We are free to enjoy each others' company and our marriage and grow in our relationship. With God this looks like freedom in serving Him, that we don't feel like we have to serve Him or burdened but that we enjoy doing so because that is our intimacy with Him. Serving God because we feel like we have to is like having sex with our husband for the same reasons. If this is not what God desires, we are shaming Him as well.

I pray for all of us today in a quiet and lonely home, that we begin to take the steps to filling our relationship with freedom and intamacy again. That we remember the love we had as newlywed brides.

“I remember the devotion of your youth,
    your love as a bride,
how you followed me in the wilderness,
    in a land not sown. 
 Israel was holy to the Lord,
    the first fruits of his harvest.
All who ate of it incurred guilt;
    disaster came upon them,
declares the Lord.”
-Jeremiah 2:2-3 

Chelsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment